Wendell Wright's 1969 Bronco
Wendell is a long standing customer and friend of WCB, having had his other Bronco in our shop for extensive modifications. With this project, Wendell wanted a Bronco that would be as comfortable and capable on-road as off. Though this was not a "frame-off" restoration, it was as close as you could get to doing so without actually removing the body from the frame. We started by locating and brokering Wendell's purchase of a 1969 Bronco that was already somewhat built for off-road, with several WCB parts already installed. This truck had a built 351 Windsor, Atlas II transfer case, WCB long travel tubular radius arms and front shock hoops, Wild Horses Extreme Duty rear shock hoops, an awesome 12V industrial onboard air system and ARB air lockers. These items would make a great foundation for our buildup, but even so, most of the existing items were overhauled and upgraded in some way.
West Coast Broncos Build Sheet
- Custom WCB 6-point "Sport" style roll cage with entry handles, dash bar with "oh-shit" handle, bikini strap footmans, powdercoated "Silver Vein".
- Modified Rock Skis with tubular nerf/step bars, powdercoated gloss black with grip tape in step areas.
- Removed existing rear shock hoop support tube (which crossed through the bed), patched holes in bed area, reinforced rear shock hoops with gussets underneat the bed.
- Removable tunnel cover fabricated with clearances for 700R4 transmission and Atlas II transfer case.
- Stripped and prepped the body for paint, minor body work done and metallic color-shift paint applied to body exterior; engine bay and body underside painted gloss black.
- Applied spray-on bedliner to interior of body tub, up to firewall, up and over the edge of the bedrails.
- American Bronco gas-charged hood struts, Autofab urethane hood pins.
- Axles removed and frame buffed, prepped and painted gloss black.
- Axles buffed, prepped and painted gloss black, overhauled with all new seals, bearings, brake hard lines, etc.
- Deaver 2.5" coils and leaf springs installed.
- WCB Extreme Duty D44 Diff Cover, powdercoated "Silver Vein".
- Powdercoated all removable suspension components such as WCB radius arms, shock hoops, coil spring cups and retainers, etc.
- Powdercoated existing Protofab tubular bumpers in "Silver Vein".
- Wound existing winch with Viking synthetic windh rope, hook and billet aluminum fairlead.
- WARN high output off-road lights on custom WCB-fabricated brackets to front bumper.
- Front bumper aluminum skid plate, powdercoated "Silver Bullet", tow hooks.
- Installed new BFG All-Terrain tires with forged aluminum wheels.
- Existing engine already had Edelbrock aluminum heads and a hot cam. We stripped an painted the block, added Ford Motorsport tall aluminum valve covers and an Edelbrock 4V intake, and reinstalled.
- WCB Extreme Duty Motor Mounts, powder coated.
- Howell Electronic Fuel Injection system topped with a K&N filter.
- Level II 700R4 automatic overdrive transmission for Bowtie Overdrives.
- Re-sealed and reinstalled existing Atlas II transfer case.
- Custom WCB-fabricated rear t-case support crossmember, powdercoated "Silver Bullet".
- Custom WCB-fabricated transfer case skid plate, powdercoated "Silver Bullet".
- Ceramic coated long tube headers and 2-into-1 custom exhaust with Flowmaster muffler.
- WCB Heavy Duty driveshafts front and rear.
- NWMP 23-gallon rear fuel tank and 12-gallon auxiliary tank. Axuiliary tank plumbed with transfer pump to fill into main tank. All fuel lines, pumps, filters new.
- 3-core aluminum radiator with new chrome radiator mounts and bushings.
- Derale rigid race fan.
- Derale "Hyper-Cool" stacked plate transmission fluid cooler with electric fan and thermostatic switch, mounted on left fenderwell with mesh screen to vent air to outside.
- American Bronco perforated fender skirts to promote airflow through the engine compartment.
- Protofab under-hood storage box with lid, to replace fresh air vent.
- WCB Saginaw power steering pump and bracket kit.
- WCB Rockcrawler power steering gear box with WCB Rockcrawler Adapter Plate.
- Stonecrusher heavy duty DOM and heim jointed steering tie rod and drag link, links powdercoated gloss black.
- Stoncrusher heavy duty DOM and heim jointed adjustable trac bar, powdercoated gloss black.
- Front and rear disk brakes with all new components, new hard and flex lines and adjustable proportioning valve.
- Hydratech hydroboost brake system with Corvette master cylinder and stainless steel braided hoses.
- WCB wide brake pedal, powdercoated.
- 130-Amp 3G alternator, all new custom built battery cables and new battery tray/clamp.
- Custom dash with custom gauge and switch layout, powdercoated "Silver Bullet".
- Tuffy locking glovebox.
- Autometer Pro-Comp gauges for: GPS speedometer, tachometer, 2 fuel gauges (one dedicated for each tank), oil pressure, volts, water temperature, trasnmission temperature.
- WCB-fabricated custom mount for GPS receiver.
- K-Four triple sealed toggle switches, indicator lamps and engine hour meter.
- Beard suspension seats.
- Flaming River tilt steering column with column shifter, Nick's Trix billet aluminum column cover.
- WCB T-3 Bronco Wiring Harness with modifications for custom equipment, professionally installed, routed and loomed.
- Wired and plumbed 12V onboard air system, pressure gauge, couplers, surge tank.
- Wild Horses Gorilla Warflares installed with stainless steel socket head cap screws, flat washers and nylock nuts.
- New chrome headlight rings, radio antenna, side view mirrors, marker light and turn signal lenses, "Bronco" script billet entry sill plates, windhsield glass and gasket.
- Bikini top with riser bracket, installed using custom footman loops on WCB cage.
Project Photo Gallery
57454 Aviation Dr. Yucca Valley, CA 92284
• Tel. (760) 835-7014 •
© 2008 WEST COAST BRONCOS, INC.